Wimblington murder: Granddad sliced his own finger off killing daughter's ex in 'frenzied attack'

A grandfather murdered his daughter’s ex in a “frenzied attack” in which he sliced off his own finger, a court heard.

Lance Woollard, 65, killed 35-year-old Nigel Ebbage just before a court hearing to determine child custody arrangements.

Woollard knew Mr Ebbage would be working from his Cambridgeshire home when he visited on the morning of Thursday, April 29.

Read more: Man smashed his way into Cambs home and stabbed two people in row over £20

Arriving with two knives, he stabbed Mr Ebbage 20 times, leaving his body at the foot of the stairs of the home in Honeysuckle Close, Wimblington, near March,

Mr Ebbage’s partner returned home for her lunch at about noon and after making the shocking discovery called police, who arrested Woollard as he drove along the March by-pass at about 1.30pm.

His hands and the steering wheel had blood on them and forensic searches later found one of his fingertips had been sliced off at the crime scene.

The court heard the murder happened just before a hearing to determine future contact arrangements between Mr Ebbage, Woollard’s daughter and their two children, then living with their mother.

Mr Ebbage had split from Woollard's daughter in 2016.

Woollard, of Richmond Avenue, March, was jailed today (July 30) at Cambridge Crown Court by Judge Farrell after pleading guilty to murder last month.

He has been jailed for life with a minimum tariff of 20 years.

Following Mr Ebbage's death, his family said: “We are all devastated and struggling to come to terms with Nigel’s death.

Wimblington murder: Granddad sliced his own finger off killing daughter's ex in 'frenzied attack'

"He was a family man, he loved his children and family and would do anything for them. He was a fun-loving guy, always cracking a joke. He enjoyed life to the full. He loved the outdoors, especially his kayak.”

Detective Inspector Dale Mepstead said: “Lance Woollard knew Nigel was going to be working alone from home that day and he visited with the intention of murdering him.

“It was a frenzied attack and while Nigel tried to defend himself, the wounds he received to the chest were tragically fatal.

“Nigel’s loss has had a devastating effect on those who knew and loved him and, while nothing will ever heal that grief, I hope the result today will give them some comfort, knowing that justice has been done.”

CambridgeshireLive email updates: We bring the stories to you

Signing up to the CambridgeshireLive newsletter means you'll receive our daily news email.

It couldn't be simpler and it takes seconds - simplyclick here, enter your email address and follow the instructions.

You can also enter your address at the top of this page in the box below the picture on most desktop and mobile platforms.

Changed your mind? There's an 'unsubscribe' button at the bottom of every newsletter we send out.

The court heard following Mr Ebbage’s split from his ex-partner, there was a fire at his ex-partner’s home.

He was accused of the crime and was arrested and charged in June 2018. However, in 2019 he was acquitted of arson.

Mr Ebbage was then allowed contact with his children and a court order was made preventing Woollard from being present at handovers.

A court hearing was due to take place to rule on the future arrangements involving the children and their parents when the murder took place.

Woollard refused to answer any questions after his arrest but pleaded guilty on June 29 at Cambridge Crown Court.

Want more daily news straight to your inbox? Sign up to our newsletter here.